Moscow Day 1,2 and 3

Well, after my last post, as I mentioned, I was headed that afternoon to get Vera.   We were supposed to leave at 1pm but it got postponed until later.  I think Alex had some other things to take care of.  So, we headed off at 3 to make the 2.5 hour drive.  We got there just before 5:30.  First we headed to the directors office.  I had to officially sign her out.  After that, it was off to her building.  When I got there Vera and the caretakers were in the front room.  They were making her a bottle of porridge so they could feed her one last time.  They fed her and then I changed her diaper and Irina and I got her dressed.  All of the other kids were in the other room playing.  Since we were late, the whole thing was sort of rushed.  But, anyway, got her changed, I passed out presents and then took a few pictures with caretakers.  It was time to hop in the car, so we hugged everyone and said goodbye.  One of the caretakers stopped us so she could take a picture of Vera and I to save.  I thought that was sweet.  We took a picture and then left.  She posed for some quick pictures for Mama out in front, and then it was time to get in the car.  WOW, that was not her favorite thing.  She finally calmed down and snuggled.  We took a flight out of the airport nearest her orphanage.  We checked in and then waited 2 hours.  She was great.  She cried for a brief second on the bus to the plane and then again on the plane, but pretty much fell asleep once we were settled in.  Russians believe children should be bundled head to toe.  It is not THAT cold, but if you can see skin outside their face, everyone gives you the evil eye.  The poor child was MELTING in my arms.  On the plane we were next to a Babushka and she was yelling at the man next to her to turn his air off cuz of the bay.  I was like OMG NO please leave it (I thought that in my head I didnt say it).  I really wanted to put my air on cuz I needed it.  I was sweating, Vera was sweating.  UGH.  Anyway, she slept the whole 2.5 plane ride.  When we landed it was 11:45.  We shuttled off to the terminal and then waited about 20 min for luggage.  Soon it was after midnight.  Igor was there waiting on us.  He had to park far off so we waited while he went back for the car.  Soon it was almost 1.  Then we drove to the hotel.  We are at the Marriot Grand and WOW was I happy to see the place when pulled up.  We checked in and went into our room.  2am by this time.  We got settled and then finally a little after 3am, I was able to rock her to sleep and put her in her cot.  I climbed in bed about 3:30 and crashed.

Thursday morning I got up at 6:30.  She got up as well.  She wasnt feeling too hot and the night before we got on the plane, she had a little runny nose and cough.  Well this morning she clearly had a cold.  Oh and what is that, her eye is tearing??  WOW Pink Eye TOO!  Good thing Dr. Davi*es sent me stuff for that.  God that man is smart!   So after getting ourselves together and ready, we headed downstairs for Bfast.  Soon as we sat down. Barf happened.  Yay for bibs with pouches is all I gotta say!  So, we headed back to our room to change since soon we would have to leave for her medical appt and to drop off some paperwork at the US Embassy.

We headed back downstairs at 8:30.  Igor was there waiting and we headed to the clinic.  In Moscow it takes 30 min to get a few miles.  Well 5 min from the location, I realized I forgot the passports.  Normally the coordinators always remind you, without fail.  For some reason Igor and I were both distracted and well, passports were still at the front desk from when we checked in.  For those that haven’t travelled yet, when you check into any hotel, they take your passport to register you to make sure your are legal/authorized to be touring Russia.  You can ask for it back in a couple of hours.  Since we got in so late the night before, it just totally slipped my mind.  Anyway, we had to turn around, head back to the hotel and grab them then back on the road.  We ended up being 1/2 hour late and no one shot us a bad look and we got right in.  Everything went well.  Now it was off to the embassy.  We arrived and we passed up the crowds.  It is kinda fun to do that I don’t know why, it just is.  🙂  After dropping it off and getting the invitation, we headed back to the hotel.  I ordered room service and fed Vera some lunch and juice and she/we napped.  She kept it all down (YAY).

After napping we cruised the hotel for hot single attractive Russian men for Mama to look around and kill time.  We have access to the exec lounge so we went up there to snoop on the appetizers and drinks during happy hour.  Vera wasn’t keen on all the fancyness of it all, so Mama took her Diet Pepsi to go and walked the hallways.  Soon it was time for some playing in our room, stories and dinner.  The rest of the night went smooth.  At 9 I rocked her to sleep and laid her down.  I laid down to read and crashed instantly.  We BOTH slept solid all night.  I was up at 7:30 and I got Vera up at 8 since we needed to get ready for our Embassy appt and my hope was to try breakfast again.

We made it down to the lobby and enjoyed breakfast.  I more than she.  She just like her potatoes, baby fruit, gerber puffs and apple juice or water.  But we had breakfast together.  There are lots of americans tour groups here.  Older couples.  And they just love Vera.  So we chatted up a bit and then walked the hotel until it was time to leave.  In the giftshop, the two girls working there took a liking to Vera and she liked them too.  They spoke Russian to her and Vera smiled.  I never get tired of seeing her smile.

Off to the Embassy we went and there were 3 other families there.  We got thru our interview and headed back to the hotel.  I grabbed a stroller (they have them here for your use during your stay) and Vera and I took a long walk.  She fell asleep for a bit. Now we are in the hotel room and she is playing and I am writing.  She is such a sweet girl.  I am learning so much about her.  I know how to get a sure fire laugh out of her.  I know she loves to cuddle.. she is the best cuddler, and fits perfect in my arms.  She LOVES stacking cups, seriously they are favorite toy.  She likes my bracelet and elevator rides.  Every time she takes a sip of water from the water bottle, she ends it with a “ahhh” SOO cute.

Tomorrow morning Igor is picking us up at 7am and it is HOME TO AMERICA we go.

Updated.. FORGOT THE BEST PART!!  PIX!!  The first two are right when we left the baby house.  She is standing in front of the entry door.


This one is just her cuteness.  This was on Sunday before I headed back to Stavropol.

Thanks EVERYONE for being soo supportive and encouraging over the years.  It is the most amazing feeling to finally her my child in my arms.  I have a whole post I want to write on this, but Vera and I are going to head on out for a little walking around the hotel.  Paka!




25 thoughts on “Moscow Day 1,2 and 3

  1. Oh my goodness she is absolutely the cutest little girl! I’m so happy for you and am choking back tears! Congrats momma! Vera is one lucky little girl!

  2. TRACEY!!! I am so so so thrilled…and this little girl is SO FREAKING CUTE!!! Awesome!! Safe (an uneventful) travels home!

  3. thank you for the update! wow, a barf initiation after 3 hours of sleep for a new mom, and you didn’t flip?! 🙂 awesome!!

    I hope you flight home in uneventful, and fast!

  4. Tracey – I am so glad we bumped into each other at the hotel. I wish we would have been here together longer. I am so excited for you and Vera. She is just a total beauty! Have a safe trip home and congratulations. I hope to be following in your footsteps soon!


  5. Sounds like it’s everything you hoped it would be girl. Remember how we’ve always said that once that baby is in your arms..all of the waiting, all of the heart ache, all of it..ALL OF IT will have been worth it? It is, isn’t it?
    Love you.

  6. She is absolutely beautiful. Congratulations Tracey. Seeing Vera and reading your journey has brought happy tears to my eyes. Gorgeous name she has.

  7. So happy to see a picture of your little Vera. She is absolutely precious. Been following your journey, what a happy ending.

  8. Finally , finally, finally!! The post I have been waiting to comment on 🙂 Congrats to the new Mama!! Safe travels, can’t wait to say WELCOME HOME!!!

  9. She’s beautiful! Thank you for sharing the photos. Safe travels home and I can’t wait to hear more about your sweet girl. Congratulations again!

  10. OMG she is soooo gorgeous! Really, really adorable. Congratulations, I can’t imagine being more happy for you two. Have a wonderful trip home. And keep sending pictures – I check my computer to just check in lately!! 🙂

  11. (blowing kisses to V. from Texas)

    Y’all have a great time getting to know each other more and more!

  12. Hope you and Vera had an easy layover in Houston and a safe last leg home. I got back to Nashvile around 11pm. So glad to be home but now the wait begins again. Looking forward to new pics of Vera!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s